Nano (ナノ) is a bilingual utaite (歌い手) known for er strong, tomboyish voice. Due to her deep voice, she could be considered a “ryouseirui” (両声類). She sings and plays acoustic guitar, and writes her own songs. She can sing in both Japanese and English, as she was born in New York (July, 12 1988). She also writes English lyrics for the VOCALOID songs she covers, giving them a western touch without losing the original style. Therefore, she often tags her songs with “western style” (洋楽っぽく). Nano mostly covers VOCALOID but also has covered some Avril Lavigne songs.
At the age of 14, she decided that she wanted to become a singer in Japan, and with her parents consent, she was able to move to Japan with her mother. She auditioned, passed, and joined a performer’s school for vocal and acting lessons. However, due to the social and school stresses of living in a new country, she made the decision to move back to America in order to finish high school. During her time in America, she took the opportunity to take vocal lessons from Chrissy Faith (Grammy nominated background vocalist), and began to take up guitar seriously, through self-training, which inspired her to experiment with songwriting.
In the summer of 2007, she returned to Japan with the purpose of pursuing music professionally. She began writing, playing, recording, and mixing original songs and shared them on various online indie websites, where she received very positive responses from many listeners. Because of that, some of her covers are tagged with 帰国子女が, it means “one who has returned to their homeland”.
On March 14, 2012, she made her major debut, signing under the label “flying DOG”, with the first album, Nanoir. And on March 16, 2013 she held her first concert. On January 19, 2013, she started hosting a real-time radio program called NANORAJI on her website.
Her avatar generally has red, mid-length hair and sometimes wearing a mask.
She is currently in the process of futhering her career in music.
Here’s some of Nano’s trivia.
- Her blood type is B.
- She is said to be bad at cooking.
- Her favorite foods are pasta, pizza, ice cream, chocolate, and strawberries. She also likes Häagen-Dazs. She dislikes carrots.
- Her favorite anime is Detective Conan because of the story and characters, and because she is fond of mystery/suspense. She has also read the books of the Sherlock Holmes series already in elementary school.
- Her favorite color is red.
- Her favorite animals are cats and she likes it when cats falls asleep on her lap.
- nano’s childhood ambition was to be the President of Sony.
- She has an iPhone 4 and the most expensive thing she has bought to this date is a MacBook.
- The jacket of the nano edition of No pain, No game is her eye with the globe as the iris.
- There are two versions of the single “No pain, No game”: anime version and nano version. The latter will include a secret chibi-nano card.
- The jacket of N is completely composed of the photos from her PIECE OF PEACE project which fans sent in.
- Her first concert, which was on March 16, 2013, fell on her mother’s birthday.
- She went to Germany for her second live tour and it was also her first time in Europe.
- Halloween is one of her favorite holidays of the year, and in the U.S., she used to go trick-or-treating every year. She decorated her house with orange lights and she carved pumpkins.
- The song title of the Sherlock Holmes theme song “Scarlet Story” was chosen in respect of the first story that Holmes appeared in, “A Study in Scarlet”.